The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
What does VAT qualifying mean at auction? (Read 8633 times)
kman
Part of the furniture

What does VAT qualifying mean at auction?
12.01.10 at 21:52:35

does it mean you have to add vat on top of the wining bid?

IP Logged

rhubarb
Ex Member

Re: What does VAT qualifying mean at auction?
Reply #1 - 12.01.10 at 22:08:59

yes, and it also means you can claim the vat back if you are a business(ie vat registered)

IP Logged

Beetlefan the 1st
Fossil

[IMG]http://img.phot
obucket.com/albums/v
736/lytchf

Ashford Middlesex
Reply #2 - 12.01.10 at 22:09:22

kman wrote on 12.01.10 at 21:52:35:
does it mean you have to add vat on top of the wining bid?

Yes,It means the Company claimed the VAT back when the car was new Wink

If it can't be fixed using a hammer.......It's an electrical problem!
YIM | AIM  
IP Logged

Nobster
Fossil

Somewhere
Reply #3 - 12.01.10 at 22:50:35

A vehicle is purchased by a contract hire and leasing company or a daily rental company for the sole purpose of renting it out to a customer(s) the vehicle is classified as a VAT qualifying vehicle.

The purchaser of the vehicle claims the VAT back and when they sell it at the end of its life with them it's value is plus VAT.

IP Logged

kman
Part of the furniture

Reply #4 - 19.01.10 at 21:39:26

from bca website; seems different from views above.

VAT Qualifying Although all used cars bear VAT it is not usually accounted for separately and VAT is not generally added to the hammer price. In some circumstances (qualifying cars) the VAT element may be broken out from the hammer price and shown separately. This is done to enable a VAT registered buyer, purchasing the vehicle for a qualifying purpose, to recover the VAT. 
Commercial VAT This relates to used light and heavy commercial vehicles, plant and equipment. VAT at current rates is charged on top of the auction selling price in almost all cases. The auction rule is that all light and heavy commercial vehicles, plant and equipment are subject to VAT unless the auctioneer declares otherwise. 
Margin VAT In all other cases (margin cars) the VAT is not shown separately and cannot be recovered. Cars that are not eligible for recovery of VAT even if purchased by a VAT registered person and bought on a tax invoice are called margin cars. 

IP Logged

raxx
Part of the furniture

Reply #5 - 19.01.10 at 21:52:05

I always thought (or understood) and led to believe that if a car was vat qualifying then a person buying it at auction who is intending it for business use could claim back the vat but it wasn't added on top of the hammer price......

Undecided

Try a hammer and chisel

IP Logged

Nobster
Fossil

Somewhere
Reply #6 - 19.01.10 at 22:26:23

kman and raxx you are both right I might have mislead people with my previous answer. Embarrassed Undecided Roll Eyes

I will try and explain it better this time.

We will start with a new car being purchased the key issue is whether this VAT can be recovered by the purchaser as there are strict rules that will block the VAT recovery.

The purchaser must be able to prove a car is not available for private use at any time even taking the vehicle home over night once would render it blocked by the HM Customs. Roll Eyes

If VAT has been fully recovered on a car that car will be VAT Qualifying.

If a qualifying car is sold VAT will be chargeable on its sale(and shown on the Auction receipt as such) and recoverable by the purchaser under the same rules as when it was new.

If there is any private use of the car no VAT at all can be recovered on the purchase of the car and it becomes what is known as “Non-Qualifying”.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer. Roll Eyes Undecided Wink Smiley

IP Logged

kman
Part of the furniture

Reply #7 - 19.01.10 at 22:36:30

All I wanted to know is that if I buy a car at auction described as VAT qualifying, will I have to pay VAT on top of hammer price. I think the answer is no.

IP Logged

Nobster
Fossil

Somewhere
Reply #8 - 19.01.10 at 22:47:37

kman wrote on 19.01.10 at 22:36:30:
All I wanted to know is that if I buy a car at auction described as VAT qualifying, will I have to pay VAT on top of hammer price. I think the answer is no.

NNNNNNNNNNNN   OOOOOOOOOOOO. Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUCWVTwf5_U

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1