The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Megane 1.9dci lack of power below around 2000-2500 rpm. (Read 4998 times)
radu
Just arrived

Megane 1.9dci lack of power below around 2000-2500 rpm.
22.08.10 at 08:08:56

Hi guys. First of all, sorry for the long message. I'm trying to explain this issue as detailed as I can. I'm having a problem that's getting on my nerves and reaches for my pockets for more than a year now. I own a 2006 Renault Megane 1.9 dci, engine type f9q804. The car completely lacks power below 2500rpm, it barely moves, then when it's reaching 2500 it kicks you in the seat and flies like a rocket. This behavior is especially noticeable in the first gear. In 2nd gear it seems to be gaining power at around 2000rpm, in third the engine gets torquey at around 1500. The car is equipped with a particulate filter. I scheduled a visit to the garage for an active regeneration; after the regeneration the car worked like a charm, power at low revs, no engine jerking when shifting (the car jerks everytime I release the clutch after gearing up or down; from what I've noticed, it stops reading the signal sent by the gas pedal for about one second). However, the problem reappeared after ~100 miles driven. Went to garage, regenerated again, no change this time. I decided to remove the particulate filter. The mechanic who did the operation also installed a chip, which he wired to the airflow meter and the vacuum solenoid that goes to the turbocharger. After the filter removal and the chip installed, the car again worked fine for around 100 miles, then went back to normal. However, this second time, the jerking didn't disappear while shifting. I didn't notice any significant increase in high end power with the chip installed, however, the car was more responsive when accelerating in gear from 2000 rpm onwards. EGR valve recently came up on the dash due to a short-circuit to its position sensor(recently after the chip was installed). I've disconnected it since, with no change in car's behaviour though. I hope you guys can help me, thanks for your patience to read this to the end. Smiley

IP Logged

Driver8
Part of the furniture

sheffield
Re: Megane 1.9dci lack of power below around 2000-2500 rpm.
Reply #1 - 22.08.10 at 09:12:56

turbo broken, it's in limp home mode. £££££££££'s
sorry.

IP Logged

radu
Just arrived

Reply #2 - 22.08.10 at 10:52:59

What does that mean? And if it's broken, how come the car worked fine when they cleaned the particulate filter? How are these two parts linked?

Also, I have bought the car second hand, and it's been this way ever since. There were no errors shown on the diagnostic program, no lights on the dash. Until EGR broke down.

IP Logged

Cannon
Just arrived

Mechanic / MOT Tester
/ Hooligan

Stoke-on-Trent
Reply #3 - 22.08.10 at 11:25:28

Have you physically removed and checked the EGR valve ?
They are prone to the disc falling off the end on these engines which can cause major power loss. Also, due to the fact that Renault in their infinite wisdom decided to extend the service interval up to 18000 miles, the inlet system blocks up with carbon, which then blocks the EGR valve. If the EGR valve sticks open then the turbo can overboost causing this to fail as well.

IP Logged

radu
Just arrived

Reply #4 - 22.08.10 at 11:41:56

Yes, I removed the EGR valve and the disc is in place. It's not working anymore and needs replacing, my hopes are on the EGR being faulty even before showing up on the dash. (and yes, it had loads of soot on it)

IP Logged

mac 54
Part of the furniture

Reply #5 - 22.08.10 at 11:51:10

from your performance description under load it sounds like a turbo boost or turbo boost control problem

IP Logged

radu
Just arrived

Reply #6 - 22.08.10 at 13:22:12

I've also checked the actual pressures in the turbo compared to the nominal ones in neutral; the nominal ones were higher when flatting out to 2000 rpm. Nominal pressures were over 2000mbar while the actual ones were at around 1500mbar or so.

IP Logged

Forkingabout
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 22.08.10 at 18:15:03

Owning a Renault 1.9 DCi engine is like holding onto a hand grenade with the safety pin removed  Wink

IP Logged

radu
Just arrived

Reply #8 - 23.08.10 at 06:58:15

Can't say it's caused any other problems in almost 70k, and since I bought it with the problem, I'm gonna pin the problem on the previous owner's carelesness. So, any other suggestions? Smiley

IP Logged

twin1558a
Getting on a bit

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

Reply #9 - 23.08.10 at 18:37:56

70k  miles dead on schedule

First the EGR valve then  a 5 tto 10k  later the Turbo   which usually takes out the engine as the debris exits through the inlet.

The identified cause is long oil change intervals and not using fully synthetic oil.

If you check on ebay you will find the prices for any Renault 1.9Dci engines are through the roof.

Just Google on Renault 1.9dci turbo

IP Logged

radu
Just arrived

Reply #10 - 23.08.10 at 20:08:14

It's 70k kilometers, I forgot to specify. I believe the EGR valve broke down because of the chip I had installed on it. I've been going forever with this problem and asking a lot of people, all of them speaking about broken turbos and intercoolers, dead maf sensors, map sensors, particulate filters, bad timing and so on... The thing is, I can't afford replacing the whole engine based on speculations. The problem gets even more annoying because there's clue as to what might cause the problem.

IP Logged

twin1558a
Getting on a bit

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

Reply #11 - 23.08.10 at 20:30:12

Nothing to do with being chipped  par for the  course for these engines --- all to do with mileage, oil change intervals and deposits from the chemical breakdown of mineral or  semi-synthetic engine oil.

IP Logged

mac 54
Part of the furniture

Reply #12 - 23.08.10 at 21:36:45

sorry but why dont you get a diagnosis of the problem based on correct testing of the engine rather than lots of speculation

IP Logged

radu
Just arrived

Reply #13 - 24.08.10 at 08:34:32

I did and nothing came up, the idiots around here don't know to read and understand certain values, so they have no clue what's wrong. The only thing I saw wrong were the small pressures in the turbo compared to the nominal ones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1