The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ASTRA 1.7 DTI (Read 2374 times)
mayfly
Part of the furniture

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

ASTRA 1.7 DTI
22.12.10 at 21:20:43

Having a problem setting up the cam shaft timing on a 1.7 astra dti isuzu engine 2001 . The head had been removed and striped for skiming, now I realise that the exhaust cam shaft has a backlash gear fitted which I believe should have been locked before removing. How do I go about setting it up now as even though timing marks are set up ok there it still valve to piston contact when the engine is turned by hand. Any help with this would be much appreciated as I would love to get it on the road for X MAS, Thanks again and season greatings to you all.

IP Logged

fuglynutlock
Been here a while

Surrey
Re: ASTRA 1.7 DTI
Reply #1 - 23.12.10 at 09:40:29

On the gears at the rear of the cams the ex has a a mark on a tooth and the in has twin marks on teeth. the single mark needs to be aligned in between the twin mark and about level with the top face of the cam housing. If thats set ok, has the head been over skimmed?

Drive it like you rented  it!

IP Logged

mayfly
Part of the furniture

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

Re: ASTRA 1.7 DTI
Reply #2 - 24.12.10 at 11:24:49

Problem solved,thanks for reply. The gear on the end of the exhaust cam is in two pieces, if you hold the outer piece of the gear you can then twist back the inner section until a pin can be inserted to hold it in place,its spring loaded,so if you like me try to set up timing, without pin inserted, you can be at least one full cog out even though marks are alligned ok.Hope this makes sense and may be of some help to someone. Happy xmas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1