The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
FIAT PUNTO OIL PRESSURE LIGHT (Read 3812 times)
spanners2011
Just arrived

FIAT PUNTO OIL PRESSURE LIGHT
12.06.11 at 11:41:05

Hi all, i bought a fiat punto 1.2 8v 2001 'y' Reg the other week. It had a couple of oil leaks when i bought it, one from the rocker gasket and a tiny one from the sump. I replaced the rocker gasket that afternoon and fitted a new sump a couple of days later. I also gave it a minor service at the same time plugs/filters etc.

since fitting the new sump the oil pressure warning light comes on when on tick over and when going round roundabouts, i have checked the oil level and it is bang on max. I have also fitted a new pressure switch both to no avail. there is a slight tap coming from the area of the oil pump but there is also the alternator/cam-belt/aux belt/ all around the same place.

I have used 'fuchs titan xtr 10w-40 semi synth' in case you were wondering.

thanks for looking. Smiley

IP Logged

rhydsmetro
Been here a while

Re: FIAT PUNTO OIL PRESSURE LIGHT
Reply #1 - 12.06.11 at 11:50:42

Did you take the oil pickup off when changing the sump? If you did, did you replace the gasket?

IP Logged

mac 54
Part of the furniture

Reply #2 - 12.06.11 at 14:18:09

oil light on at hot idle indicates low oil pressure, worn pump, worn engine,  oil light on when going round corners with engine reving means low oil level or fault with oil pick up in the sump.

IP Logged

SB
Part of the furniture

Reply #3 - 12.06.11 at 14:28:59

these engines dont normally wear the pump out
im thinking that as the oil pickup pipe is made of plastic its possible he knocked it when removing the sump and this is stopping the oil being picked up
i had exactly the same problem last year when a punto had been hit on the front it must have been the shock because in my case the sump was fine just no oil pressure
of course it could be a blocked hole where oil sender unit goes,i too had to replace one of these the other week when light was flashing cost me near 15 notes too

so op no easy answer in afraid
you might just have to take sump back off,obviously dont drive the car as you will wreck the bearings

IP Logged

rhydsmetro
Been here a while

Reply #4 - 12.06.11 at 19:04:21

When I changed the sump on my alfa 146 I just caught the oil pick up gasket when refitting it,  which caused a distinct lack of oil pressure once the job was finished. Had to take the whole lot apart again...

IP Logged

spanners2011
Just arrived

Reply #5 - 15.06.11 at 16:06:04

hi all, it is possible i that i knocked the pick up when removing the sump. The light only comes on at tickover on level ground/going round a roundabout or if i park facing up hill, it cant be oil level because its full i've triple checked.

there is a leak still which seem's to be coming from the top end somewhere cant see exactly where but its not the rocker gasket.

i will have to find the leak at the weekend sort that out then i guess i will have to take the sump back off to check i haven't damaged the pick up somehow.

oh and the slight tap/squeak i mentioned before was the cam-belt tensioner, thats sorted though now cam-belt and tensioner was replaced today.

cheers.

IP Logged

mac 54
Part of the furniture

Reply #6 - 15.06.11 at 17:57:58

Keep at it Wink

IP Logged

horse
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 15.06.11 at 18:39:54

assuming your putting right "quantity" of oil in , [wrong dipsticks have been known ] and the sump has baffles into prevent oil surge on corners ?

IP Logged

UncleAlbert
Part of the furniture

Reply #8 - 15.06.11 at 22:25:30

Sounds like the Oil Pump is worn.."Slight Tap"suppose going round a Corner it will be more noticeable Turning Right.
As naturally the oil will move to the Left within the sump.

Could take it to a garage and have them measure the pumps O/P pressure about 25 PSI Idling and going up 40-50 at 3000 RPM around those figures.
Bet yours doesn't IMO

Didn't seller's of Old Bangers put Sawdust in to thicken up the oil on a worn engine? IIRC
You've just serviced with nice clean "Thin" oil not old thick Gunge that Came out?

IP Logged

horse
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 15.06.11 at 22:28:19

UncleAlbert wrote on 15.06.11 at 22:25:30:
Sounds like the Oil Pump is worn.."Slight Tap"suppose going round a Corner it will be more noticeable Turning Right.

Could take it to a garage and have them measure the pumps O/P pressure about 25 PSI Idling and going up 40-50 at 3000 RPM around those figures.
Bet yours doesn't IMO

no it wont if it has baffles

IP Logged

Stu_DaBear
Part of the furniture

I'd rather push my Fords
than own another vauxhall

Reply #10 - 15.06.11 at 23:28:46

Could any excess sealent have dropped into the oil and now be in the pick up??

IP Logged

rhydsmetro
Been here a while

Reply #11 - 16.06.11 at 09:35:58

UncleAlbert wrote on 15.06.11 at 22:25:30:

Bet yours doesn't IMO

Didn't seller's of Old Bangers put Sawdust in to thicken up the oil on a worn engine? IIRC
You've just serviced with nice clean "Thin" oil not old thick Gunge that Came out?

The slight tap was an unrelated problem according to the OP.

If the pump was fine before the sump change then I doubt its worn, and its just a sealing issue.

IP Logged

spanners2011
Just arrived

Reply #12 - 18.06.11 at 14:25:13

hi all, thanks for all your reply's i have dropped the sump off again this morning and found that there was a crack in the top of the oil pick up. A trip to fiat,£30 and some slightly wet overalls due to it p***ing down later the issue is now sorted.

Thanks again.    Smiley

IP Logged

rhydsmetro
Been here a while

Reply #13 - 18.06.11 at 14:48:32

Glad yo hear its all sorted Cheesy

IP Logged

Stu_DaBear
Part of the furniture

I'd rather push my Fords
than own another vauxhall

Reply #14 - 18.06.11 at 16:40:29

Good result in the end then  Smiley

IP Logged

Anna Rack
Part of the furniture

Why's nothing ever easy?

Kent
Reply #15 - 18.06.11 at 17:52:01

Zero oil pressure with the engine running will normally result in terminal damage. Hopefully you didn't encounter too many roundabouts and got away with it.

IP Logged

SB
Part of the furniture

Reply #16 - 18.06.11 at 19:51:35

spanners2011 wrote on 18.06.11 at 14:25:13:
hi all, thanks for all your reply's i have dropped the sump off again this morning and found that there was a crack in the top of the oil pick up. A trip to fiat,£30 and some slightly wet overalls due to it p***ing down later the issue is now sorted.

Thanks again.    Smiley

said so didnt i Smiley
i did a thread on this last year with pictures too
so pay attention in future Angry

i see you are a new member so you are exonerated Cheesy
Embarrassed Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1