The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
warbling sound mondeo (Read 942 times)
orange_andy
Been here a while

you will be novataken

darlington
warbling sound mondeo
03.07.11 at 11:07:30

hi guys got a quick one, noticed on my mondeo sttdci 06 reg a warbling sort of sound when going over 20mph, can hear it more at certain speeds.  i thought wheels bearings but iv had the car jacked up and there is no play whatsoever.  does this cancel this out or is it still possible.  obviously its hard to really pin the sound but im 80%sure its the rear. its not really loud or a grinding sound its more of a quiet warbling sort of sound.   when i had the car up the rear specially one side seemed to be catching when spinning the wheels seems the pad catched on a part of the disk.  but again it doesnt really seem it would make the sort of warbling noise as that would be a grinding and its more prominent at above 20mph 

any ideas dont want to throw money down the drain obviously,  thanks guys

IP Logged

kevin0
Been here a while

romford
Re: warbling sound mondeo
Reply #1 - 03.07.11 at 11:14:39

might still be a wheel bearing move it around slowly into different positions and check for play some times it only seems to show in certain positions.

IP Logged

orange_andy
Been here a while

you will be novataken

darlington
Reply #2 - 03.07.11 at 11:31:13

ill try give this ago but cautious meant to be having a long journey over the next weekend

IP Logged

Karl Benz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03.07.11 at 14:33:08

rear wheel bearings used to be favourites on these

no good spinning wheel and listen for rumble

spin and feel for roughness though the hub/spring etc

could also be intermediate drive shaft support bearing

but my hunch is its the tyres

i'd be thinking rears made by ling long etc 
as this was offten cause of a rumble

IP Logged

Monkey
Getting on a bit

Reply #4 - 03.07.11 at 20:02:06

Had a few mondeos lately with dodgy tyres, the last one being a taxi which sounded as if the wheel was gonna fall off. Even changed the o/s/f wheel bearing as it felt rough through the road spring which didnt cure it!

If you look at the tyre and run your hand across the tread towards the back of the car (oppo direction of rotation) you can normally feel the stepping of the tread i.e not smooth which causes the noise.

IP Logged

UncleAlbert
Part of the furniture

Reply #5 - 04.07.11 at 00:39:17

Don't the Turbo's produce a Warbling noise under certain conditions?? Just a thought...but if you have detected it from the Rear of the car then above/previous post's are Most relevant.

IP Logged

orange_andy
Been here a while

you will be novataken

darlington
Reply #6 - 04.07.11 at 17:23:29

iv tried taking it out of gear / not accelerating / braking and it doesnt really stop instantly so it cant be the turbo. hopefully after me next trip itl be more apparent its the bearing and ill get it sorted.

IP Logged

UncleAlbert
Part of the furniture

Reply #7 - 04.07.11 at 17:28:44

Mr orange_andy, you wouldn't be able to advise me on How to "Post Individual Album's From Photobucket"..By any chance?? Help would be Much Appreciated... Embarrassed

IP Logged

orange_andy
Been here a while

you will be novataken

darlington
Reply #8 - 05.07.11 at 08:52:30

sorry only just came back on.

the only way i know of / use on forums is to copy and paste the links.  trial and error as there is like 5 to choose from i go through them all till they work then delete the links on the post that come up as writing and not the album.  hope that helps if you havnt already done it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1