The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Yaris D4D problem (Read 4638 times)
v8will
Just arrived

Yaris D4D problem
04.12.11 at 18:27:46

Hi,

I've posted this in a toyota specific forum elsewhere but thought I'd try here as well.

Compliant as follows

My 2005 D4D Yaris, just shy of 90,000 miles has been playing up over the past couple of weeks.

The 1st sign of trouble was the engine suddenly cutting out on the motorway. After coasting to the hard shoulder I was able to restart the engine with a little difficulty but was able to get home, the engine management light was now on. I checked the fault code with my OBDII reader which came up as P1229, I cleared the code and did a little research but couldn't find anything conclusive online.

On the suggestion of my local mechanic (he didn't have time to squeeze me in) I fitted a new genuine Toyota fuel filter, a little pre-emptive as the car is booked in for a oil change and pre MOT look over next week. The previous filter had done 30,000 so was overdue and was pretty dirty. The new filter seemed to cure the issue and I put in about 20 litres of non supermarket diesel as the level had dropped to 1 bar when the car cut out.

Over the past week I have monitored fuel consumption and it seems to have dropped to around 40mpg from it's usual 55mpg (calculated off litreage put in) and on my way home from work tonight the car cut out again and was a real pig to start - I was very close to having to call for recovery as the battery had started to die. Fault code P1229 persists again.

Could the filter possibly be dirty again after only 200 miles? (I'll confirm this over the weekend, it'll have to come out for inspection) Is the cutting out the sign of something more sinister/expensive? Fuel pump, injectors etc? This evening when it happened there was plenty of fuel in the car.

Any ideas as I'm starting to get ****** off, I do have another car but the missus uses our Yaris to ferry the kids about and at the moment I can't trust it.

Followed up with, after a suggestion that I should check the fuel tank pickup

Ok, it's getting too cold and dark to do much today. I got as far as removing the metal cover above the tank/below the rear seats. That area will need a cleanup before I start dismantling anymore, I don't want to introduce any more contamination. I guess to get at the pickup I just need to remove the pipe work and unscrew the large plastic cover??

Anyway before I came in I removed the drain plug from the filter and emptied the filter. No sign of water contamination but I did notice half a dozen or so crumb sized bits of black dirt come out, almost like limescale.

I'm guessing the problem is dirt related. So next clourse of action is to clean the tank and it's related elements and then another new filter.

Any tips for cleaning the tank without having to actually remove it?

Any ideas folks? I'm beginning to dislike common rail diesels...

IP Logged

Owen1982
Been here a while

South Wales
Re: Yaris D4D problem
Reply #1 - 04.12.11 at 20:12:23

I feel your pain with the common rail woes!!

I would think you are looking at a fuel issue, you need the system tested, perhaps leak off tests etc

This link may make interesting reading for you

http://fishnets.u28.infinology.net/toyota%20corolla%201.4%20d-4d%20p1229%20p1272...

IP Logged

Nobster
Fossil

Somewhere
Reply #2 - 04.12.11 at 20:28:19

It could well be the high pressure fuel pumps knackered. Roll Eyes Sad

P1229 is for Fuel system range/performance problem

I would check the following before forking out on a replacement pump.

Wiring, mechanical fault, fuel filter blocked, fuel
leak, fuel level low, FRP control valve, Injector(s),
fuel quantity adjuster, high pressure fuel pump.

IP Logged

v8will
Just arrived

Reply #3 - 04.12.11 at 20:53:25

Thanks for the link Owen.

Interestingly in 3 of the 4 times that the engine has cut out the car had been on an extended run at motorway speeds, the only exception was on the 3rd cut out where the car had managed maybe 2 miles and then cut out when exiting a (very) busy roundabout.

I did notice that after restarting the car on the last cut out, with alot of difficulty, the diesel knock/pinking/clatter, was alot more noticeable. Running like a bag of spanners would describe it.

Inspection of the pickup tomorrow will hopefully reveal more. Hopefully the debris found in the fuel sample drawn from the filter today indicates a simple contamination/dirt issue.

At the moment my mindset is get the car fixed and get bloody shot. Petrol, no turbo etc is the way forward I think.

IP Logged

MAC 57
Part of the furniture

Reply #4 - 04.12.11 at 22:25:11

Common rail diesels = expensive . may need an diagnostic when fault codes are logged , some will retrieve history data if right equipment used.

IP Logged

v8will
Just arrived

Reply #5 - 05.12.11 at 16:01:56

Just popped out the fuel pickup unit from within the tank. Absolutely caked in debris, the actual pickup was blocked solid.

I'm going to drain the tank tomorrow, clean everything and then play things by ear before engaging in tests on the pump in injectors which I don't have the equipment for.

IP Logged

mayfly
Part of the furniture

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

Reply #6 - 05.12.11 at 17:10:53

Sounds like you found the sourse of your problem, if pick up was blocked then you will have fuel delivery and preasure problems. Good luck

IP Logged

Anna Rack
Part of the furniture

Why's nothing ever easy?

Kent
Reply #7 - 05.12.11 at 17:40:01

Hopefully this is the problem - it's a lot more satisfying when you can actually see a physical cause for a fault.

IP Logged

18k a year
Part of the furniture

Reply #8 - 06.12.11 at 00:09:55

Nobster wrote on 04.12.11 at 20:28:19:
It could well be the high pressure fuel pumps knackered. Roll Eyes Sad

P1229 is for Fuel system range/performance problem

I would check the following before forking out on a replacement pump.

Wiring, mechanical fault, fuel filter blocked, fuel
leak, fuel level low, FRP control valve, Injector(s),
fuel quantity adjuster, high pressure fuel pump.

how would you check the fuel quantity adjuster before fitting pump?,all these checks easier said than done,you seem to have listed every fault possible on a common rail diesel fault Wink

IP Logged

v8will
Just arrived

Reply #9 - 06.12.11 at 17:23:48

Anna Rack wrote on 05.12.11 at 17:40:01:
Hopefully this is the problem - it's a lot more satisfying when you can actually see a physical cause for a fault.

Seems to have been. I bought a fluid extractor and cleared the tank. Loads of black sludge so I've obviously had a few bad loads of diesel from somewhere.

Threw in £25 of fresh fuel, primed the system and immediately the car is running loads better. I'll monitor things over the next few tanks of fuel but for now i'm pretty certain it's business as usual.

IP Logged

Nate
Antique

Crash & Carry

The Cotswolds
Reply #10 - 07.12.11 at 23:15:54

We've had similar sludge problems in 3 of our trucks recently.  Tanks off and steam cleaned fixes it, but it is a pain in the bum. 

Would be interesting to know what it is and where it comes from

WWW | MSN | Facebook | AIM  
IP Logged

MAC 57
Part of the furniture

Reply #11 - 07.12.11 at 23:50:27

bacteria from the fill up fuel supply and diesel additives also

IP Logged

v8will
Just arrived

Reply #12 - 02.11.13 at 17:54:52

A long overdue update as I'd forgotten about this post (and forum!)

I still have the car, now on 118K and it's still running like a dream. Last calculated brim to brim fill yielded 59mpg.

I'm struggling to think what I'll buy to replace it when the time comes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1