The forum for car enthusiasts and the trade
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tradesure from Norton Insurance
  If you feel that any post on this forum is inappropriate or offensive and requires immediate action please e-mail the moderators at webmaster@kelseypb.co.uk
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Peugeot 206 rear axle problem . (Read 16262 times)
dooroy
Getting on a bit

ROI
Peugeot 206 rear axle problem .
18.01.12 at 21:05:55

A friend has a 2000 Peugeot 206 petrol and she said it began to develop a severe vibration about a week ago .
Drove it tonight and once it reached about 55 mph the vibration was severe - to put it mildly .
On return put it on the 2 poster and noticed the offside rear wheel had been coming in contact with the bodywork - and also that the wheel could be moved in and out in at the top .
Would anyone have an idea of what has gone wrong or where I could find an exploded view of the rear axle  to see what may have broken/ failed etc .
Suggested to her a SH axle might be the best option as parts could be expensive . Also removing the axle could be a problem as the mounting bolts etc look very rusty .
Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated .

IP Logged

rp automotive services
Tea-maker

Sittingbourne, Kent
Re: Peugeot 206 rear axle problem .
Reply #1 - 18.01.12 at 21:30:16

hope this helps

fig1.JPG (107 KB | )
fig1.JPG
WWW | Facebook  
IP Logged

rp automotive services
Tea-maker

Sittingbourne, Kent
Reply #2 - 18.01.12 at 21:31:20

and this.
I am sure you have ruled out wheel bearing.

fig2.JPG (88 KB | )
fig2.JPG
WWW | Facebook  
IP Logged

midnight oil
Part of the furniture

Reply #3 - 18.01.12 at 22:06:07

dooroy wrote on 18.01.12 at 21:05:55:
A friend has a 2000 Peugeot 206 petrol and she said it began to develop a severe vibration about a week ago .
Drove it tonight and once it reached about 55 mph the vibration was severe - to put it mildly .
On return put it on the 2 poster and noticed the offside rear wheel had been coming in contact with the bodywork - and also that the wheel could be moved in and out in at the top .
Would anyone have an idea of what has gone wrong or where I could find an exploded view of the rear axle  to see what may have broken/ failed etc .
Suggested to her a SH axle might be the best option as parts could be expensive . Also removing the axle could be a problem as the mounting bolts etc look very rusty .
Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated .

its the rear arm bearngs which fail,it can be quite involved to fit new ones,i havnt done new since i left dealers 11 years ago.
we always fit complete rear axle,second hand.
Smiley Wink

IP Logged

dooroy
Getting on a bit

ROI
Reply #4 - 18.01.12 at 22:08:23

Thanks for that - excellent .
The play appears to be where item no. 08 is in the first diagram - so obviously bushes worn .
Wheel bearing is fine - no play at all .
Will have to investigate which option would be best - change the bushings etc or change the axle ; a good possibility that a SH axle could go the same way shortly  Undecided

Just saw your post midnght - so will try for SH unit . The torsion bars would be my main worry - car up too high or down too low etc .  Sad

IP Logged

dooroy
Getting on a bit

ROI
Reply #5 - 19.01.12 at 20:37:58

Made some enquiries today and discovered 206 axles are in big demand - and a good SH one can cost up to €250 ( if you can find one ) .
Apparently some  fail at quite low mileage .
May have to consider the repair route  Sad-
a)  is there a kit available for this rather than having to order individual parts ? 
b)  has anyone here repaired them outside of a dealer workshop - are there any special tools
     required which can't be done without for example ?

IP Logged

mayfly
Part of the furniture

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

Reply #6 - 19.01.12 at 22:21:37

Second hand almost impossible to get a good one and very expensive. Had a similar problem last year, not repairable realy as they have a needle bearing set up and by the time they start to flop about the shaft will be damaged and the new bearing wont last a week. Give me a call and I can give you more info.

IP Logged

MAC 57
Part of the furniture

Reply #7 - 19.01.12 at 22:35:30

theres no cheap way with these as we know , best to remove and investigate the extent of damage,,   if the car is worth it that is !!!

IP Logged

rhydsmetro
Been here a while

Reply #8 - 19.01.12 at 23:01:41

Had one go recently on my bro's 106. Only that didn't go with play, it just locked one arm solid. £80 for an S/H unit.

Is it worth trying the north or maybe even someone with a van who happens to be going on the ferry?

IP Logged

soots
Been here a while

I Love Car Mechanics mag!

sunny scotland
Reply #9 - 19.01.12 at 23:11:51

sports car breakers edinburgh have a supply on the shelf. warranted too!! done two last week £145 each a paid. best if your prepared to do the brake front to back as theyre usually a snapper

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......Fart and you fart alone

IP Logged

dooroy
Getting on a bit

ROI
Reply #10 - 19.01.12 at 23:45:17

Thanks for all replies - will give you a ring mayfly .
Came across an ad in Donedeal - recon rear axles with 12 mths warranty €400 ( exchange ) Shocked.
Owner will have to do some serious thinking  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1