THE ONLINE HOME OF THE BEST-SELLING INDEPENDENT JAGUAR CAR MAGAZINE
Jaguar World Monthly Homepage The Magazine Subscribe Back Issues & Reprints Accessories Books
Auctions Club Racing Events Diary Jaguar Tours Classified Ads Wallpapers Contact Next month Links

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Alignment Settings (Read 2489 times)
marke
I've just arrived

Alignment Settings
13.12.2011 at 01:20:38

Hi, I recently purchased an X300 4.0 Sport and would like to check the wheel alignment (tramling badly and suspect it has excessive toe out). I have done plenty of google searches but have not yet come across the factory specified alignment settings for the X300.
Does anyone have this info they could post?
Thanks

Jaguar 1988 XJS V12
Jaguar Series II XJ6
Jaguar X300 4.0 Sport

IP Logged

XJ40S

Sheffield
Re: Alignment Settings
Reply #1 - 13.12.2011 at 11:56:22

Not 100% certain but I would set wheels beween parallel and 1mm toe in.
Tramlining is often a combination of tyre type and front suspension bush wear.
Front and rear subframe bushes / mountings also play a part as do wheel bearings and ball joints.
Cheers

1993 3.2 xj6

IP Logged

Brian

east anglia
Reply #2 - 13.12.2011 at 16:59:19

[size=22][/size]Hi Marke,my Autodata disc gives the data as 0.6 m/m neg - 1.8 m/m pos
or in degrees 0deg 5 min negt - 0deg 15 min neg. Hope this helps,  Brian

1993 3.2 XJ40 & 1997 3.2 X300 executive

IP Logged

covkid

England
Reply #3 - 13.12.2011 at 17:58:45

Brian wrote on 13.12.2011 at 16:59:19:
[size=22][/size]Hi Marke,my Autodata disc gives the data as 0.6 m/m neg - 1.8 m/m pos
or in degrees 0deg 5 min negt - 0deg 15 min neg. Hope this helps,  Brian

That doesn't sound quite right.

How can it range from 0.6mm Toe-out to 1.8mm Toe-in linear but 0º 5min Toe-out to 0º 15min also Toe-out angular?

IP Logged

Brian

east anglia
Reply #4 - 13.12.2011 at 23:14:52

sorry, should read 0deg 5 min toe out -0deg 15 min toe in, got my pos & neg mixed up.

Brian

1993 3.2 XJ40 & 1997 3.2 X300 executive

IP Logged

marke
I've just arrived

Reply #5 - 14.12.2011 at 06:43:45

Thanks for the replies. Got the alignment checked today and it all seems ok
Front castor:
L 4deg 18min
R 4deg 14min

Front Camber:
L -0deg 37min
R -0deg 38min

Toe
L 1.1mm toe in
R 1.0mm toe out

Rear camber was neglible and toe was in on both side.

Bushes and ball joints were all in pretty good nick. Bushes were starting to go a little soft but nothing major.

I have only owned the car a few days and it tramlines like a dog. The tyres are 225/55 R16 Dunlop Sp Sport 9000 which are around 75-80% worn. The tread pattern is a very aggressive looking V.

I am going to get them changed to a 225/60 in a softer tyre with a more normal tread pattern. My understanding is the non sport cars run 225/60 anyway (albeit on a 7 inch rim) but that indicates to me there should be no problem with clearance.

Of cource any suggestions are welcome.

One surprise with the car is there is no camber adjustment. Already owning an XJS I was surprised by this. Can the castor be adjusted on the X300?

Regards
Mark

Jaguar 1988 XJS V12
Jaguar Series II XJ6
Jaguar X300 4.0 Sport

IP Logged

marke
I've just arrived

Reply #6 - 14.12.2011 at 08:52:38

Typo in my last message. Both sides on the front have toe in, the right side is 1.0mm toe in

Jaguar 1988 XJS V12
Jaguar Series II XJ6
Jaguar X300 4.0 Sport

IP Logged

M80XJR

Alfreton
Reply #7 - 14.12.2011 at 21:32:56

the sports generally are a harder ride and tram line more because they are set up to handle better then a standard xj that is the trade off with a sport and a non sport .the non sport will be more woolly around corners
Smiley

IP Logged

2jagsDoug

United States
Reply #8 - 15.12.2011 at 02:02:55

M80XJR wrote on 14.12.2011 at 21:32:56:
the sports generally are a harder ride and tram line more because they are set up to handle better then a standard xj that is the trade off with a sport and a non sport .the non sport will be more woolly around corners
Smiley

IME the tires are the biggest contributing factor in tramlining...with lower profile tires being most likely to tramline. Other variables play a smaller part in the problem.

So, yes, the Sport and "R" models are more likely to tramline because they have the tires that are most likely to tramline  Smiley

Cheers
DD

Doug Dwyer
Longview, Washington USA
1995 XJR

IP Logged

marke
I've just arrived

Reply #9 - 15.12.2011 at 11:13:53

Put some new Kelly Ultra GT 225/60s on today, replacing the old 225/55s. Tramlining has vanished and the steering wheel doesn't get pulled from side to side with every little bump in the road.

The lower profile might suit good roads but here in Australia where I drive there are plenty of contoured roads with potholes

Jaguar 1988 XJS V12
Jaguar Series II XJ6
Jaguar X300 4.0 Sport

IP Logged

2jagsDoug

United States
Reply #10 - 15.12.2011 at 14:41:59

On my XJR I went from 255/45x17 to 225/60x16.

My primary motivation was tire life. The end of the dreaded tramlining was a big and very welcome bonus  Smiley

Cheers
DD

Doug Dwyer
Longview, Washington USA
1995 XJR

IP Logged

Chris Dixon

Kent, UK
Reply #11 - 15.12.2011 at 22:55:27

This is always a fascinating issue - why do X300s on 17in wheels suffer from this when X308s on 18s and x300s on 16s don't? There are many opinions and options aside from changing wheels and tyres.

Pete Lord on the xjr6.com forum swears by a process of adjusting the front wheel bearings so they are as tight as they'll go without binding. Other things XJR owners do is replace the upper wishbone bushes with poly items. But there are some simpler things to try, one is experiment with tyre pressures, Jags are unusual in that the book gives 2 pressures, for comfort and handling respectively. Don't confuse this with the usual speed/load increases, these apply as well. So on an XJR the normal limits are 28-33 psi as I recall. Do you ever feel that some days your car drives better than others? That'll be changes due to the ambient temperature. Another suggestion I haven't tried is to get the tyres inflated with nitrogen which eliminates temperature variations. Anyone tried this and got good results?

66 S Type 3.8 Manual
86 XJ-SC 3.6 Manual

IP Logged

2jagsDoug

United States
Reply #12 - 16.12.2011 at 02:25:13

Chris Dixon wrote on 15.12.2011 at 22:55:27:
This is always a fascinating issue - why do X300s on 17in wheels suffer from this when X308s on 18s and x300s on 16s don't? There are many opinions and options aside from changing wheels and tyres.

The X308s had a (I believe to be minor) front suspension redesign including, at minimum, adjustable camber. Not sure what else was done...but the Jag guys apparently tweaked things enough to eliminate the tramlining issue.

It's a difficult issue for others as well. I've driven some Corvettes, 911s, and others that tramlined badly.

The rule-of-thumb I heard is that if the sidewall height is less than 1/3 of the tread width, tramlining is most likely to occur. I don't know if that's valid. However, not every car with low profile tires tramlines. But every car I've driven that did tramline had low profile tires. <shrug>

Quote:
Pete Lord on the xjr6.com forum swears by a process of adjusting the front wheel bearings so they are as tight as they'll go without binding.

Actaully I think he does what I do: take the adjustment right down to zero freeplay....and not an iota more.

Quote:
Other things XJR owners do is replace the upper wishbone bushes with poly items.

I don't think the poly material is the issue. Being unworn is the key thing, I think. Anything sub-par....alignment settings, suspension wear, loose bearings....seems to aggravate the problem.

Also, some of those guys are running the off-set upper bushings that add more negative camber....which could be important.

Quote:
But there are some simpler things to try, one is experiment with tyre pressures, Jags are unusual in that the book gives 2 pressures, for comfort and handling respectively. Don't confuse this with the usual speed/load increases, these apply as well. So on an XJR the normal limits are 28-33 psi as I recall.

I never had any luck, personally, by experimenting with the tire pressure.

In my case simply chaging to a diffferent tire (but still the 255/45x17) made quite an improvement...so differences in tire design, tread pattern (and of course, condition) certainly play a part. Still, though the problem remained until I went to the 225/60x16 tires...at which point it disappeared entirely.

Quote:
Do you ever feel that some days your car drives better than others? That'll be changes due to the ambient temperature.

Yeah, mine's much faster on cold mornings. Yours is too, I reckon  Smiley

Quote:
Another suggestion I haven't tried is to get the tyres inflated with nitrogen which eliminates temperature variations. Anyone tried this and got good results?

I never tried that, no.  The seemingly never-ending expense of replacing short-lived "performance" tires forced my hand and became my main motivation for the change to the 16s.

Truthfully I don't feel I gave up very much relative to what I gained. The steering is slightly less crisp but I  have to drive at 9/10ths to feel any difference in ultimate cornering traction....although, again, individual tire design influences these things.

Cheers
DD

Doug Dwyer
Longview, Washington USA
1995 XJR

IP Logged

XJ40S

Sheffield
Reply #13 - 16.12.2011 at 09:12:16

My guess its more to do with tyre construction than profile, buts its accentuated by general suspension wear.

I had the problem quite severely on my 86 Sierra 2.0EFI as soon as I put Goodyears on - cant remember previous tyre make but size was as per book and identical.
Transit 1.5t SWB van - Put new Avons on, standard size, serious tramlining. On prevoius worn Mitchelins there had been no problem.
Cheers

1993 3.2 xj6

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1

Other Kelsey Publications...
AUTOMOTIVE TITLES:   4x4, Classic Car Buyer, Classic Car Mart, Classic Military Vehicle, Classic Van & Pick-up, Classic & Vintage Commercials, Custom Car, Jaguar World, Land Rover World, MG Enthusiast, Modern Mini, Total BMW, Triumph World, Volkswagen Golf+
ASSOCIATED WEBSITES:   Car & Classic, Great-Cars

Content Copyright © 2010-2012 Kelsey Publishing Group